Search This Blog

Sunday, July 21, 2024

ONE MORE Thing I Would do if I Were a NEW College Minister this Summer

I recently did a Blog article entitled, "8 Things I Would Do if I Were a New College Minister This Summer" and thought it would be read like six times. Crazy thing:  it was passed around a lot.  Even veteran College Ministers and Ministry Supervisors were reading and commenting on it.

But, I have thought of ONE MORE THING I want to add to the list.  I wrote in a previous article that I was visiting with a new College Minister and I was so impressed with his enthusiasm and........I was struck by how little he knew.  We have all been there and sometimes realized it and sometimes did not.  I can think of stories from my first year at Henderson State University and want to apologize.

The ONE MORE THING:  I would do is ask a veteran College Minister that I respected to meet with me once a week in person or by phone for 30 minutes to an hour each week.  As I thought about my new College Minister friend, I thought how great for a wise veteran to be able to help him channel that enthusiasm for his campus and role there.

In this weekly session, the new guy or girl can bounce ideas off the vet.  They can describe situations they had to deal with since last week's talk and how could I have handled it differently?  They can share their frustrations with someone who cares.  Feeling alone is one of the two biggest killers of College Ministers.

So, if you are new.....even within your first three years....What about asking a wise veteran to visit with you once a week?  It will speed up your learning curve considerably and help you avoid some pot holes.

Arliss Dickerson's book, A 3 Part College Ministry Success Formula, is available at Amazon.com/dp/B0BZ6Q7HSV, A College Student's Guide to Spiritual Maturity is at Amazon.com/dp/B0CXTCTNB1and Arliss' MOST POPULAR Amazon.com/dp/B09QFB9DJ9

No comments:

Post a Comment