Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Class Attendance and Grades for College Students

 I tell college students and parents when I speak at a graduation or orientation event that the easiest way to pass a class is, "Go to Class".  I give two reasons for this.  First, many professors will cover the whole course right in front of you.  Second, I have had some professors tell me that if a student has been there all the time and they have a borderline grade (particularly that D/F border), they will give them a couple of points. 

One professor who told me he would give students a couple of points if they had a borderline grade and been there all the time also said, "I look at their attendance record."  "If they have missed a lot, that shows me they do not care and so I don't care, if they flunk." 

But, here is evidence from one professor who shared with me her own figures.

A Biology instructor reported these findings from classes she taught that had a total of 300 students in them.

60 Students dropped the class before the end of the semester.  The average number of absences for each student at the time he or she dropped was nine (9) for a class that met 3 times a week for 15 weeks.

Students who made A's (12.4%) and B's (20.5%) had an average of 2:4 absences.

Students who earned a D (22.5%) or F (19.8%) had an average of 8.3 absences.

Of those students that earned an A or B, 14 had perfect attendance.

Only 4 students who had a D or F had perfect attendance.

If she told me the C statistics, I somehow did not get those recorded.

There is value in showing up.  A friend of mine, who was a college football coach, told his players to sit on the front row.  There are no statistics to go with that "recommendation". But, I believe there is value there too. 

Arliss Dickerson's book, Tips for College Freshmen:  124 Tips for Fun, Faith & Good Grades, is available at Amazon.com/dp/B09QFB9DJ9A 3 Part College Ministry Success Formula is available at Amazon.com/dp/B0BZ6Q7HSV.


No comments:

Post a Comment