Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2022

Introducing Something Brand New

 Through the years I have attended lots of church Senior Sundays and graduation banquets.  In some of these, the students have been given a book.  Most of the time, it was one I felt there was slim chance they would read it.  It seemed to me there needed to be something specific to Christian college freshmen.  I researched it and found to my surprise, there were college freshmen help books. But they were sometimes almost academic and contained little or no spiritual helps.  A continuing concern for me is that 7 out of of 10 high school seniors active in church make no spiritual connections in college.

So, I have just published "Tips for College Freshmen:  124 Tips for Fun, Faith & Good Grades" at Amazon Books.  My goal has been for it to be a quick, inexpensive, easy read and to have every day college survival tips as well as faith tips that will help them flourish during that transformative first semester of college.  There are 78 brief paragraph tips from me that range from "The Easiest Way to Pass a Class" to "What if Your Professor is Not a Christian?"  There are 38 one or two sentence tips from what I call "Former Freshmen who Survived".  Then, there are 8 scripture tips for encouragement and/or memorization.  It is 49 pages in length.  It could be read cover to cover in one sitting or a student could simply pick and read the tips that most spoke to their questions or concerns of the moment.

My hope is that those churches that give a book will see this one as one that really can be a gift.  And, I hope it might be one that parents, grandparents, and friends would use as a graduation gift that they can stick in with that check, shirt, or car. Also, it could be used for a Senior Prep class in a Youth Ministry setting. Or, when parents unload that last box in their dorm room, they would leave it laying on the desk.

If you think it might be of value, would you consider passing the word to a friend or posting something on social media?  

I already have thoughts about a revised and updated version for next year.  So, I would be interested in your thoughts or ideas. 

Some of the Tips Are:

Should I Join a Sorority or Fraternity?

The $10,000 Suggestion

Dirty Laundry Happens

Dropping or Adding a Class

7 Red Flags in a Dating Relationship

A Recipe for College Success

The 5 Dumbest Mistakes Freshmen Make

Doubts About Your Faith are Normal

Being a Contagious Christian

Arliss Dickerson's new book, Tips for College Freshmen:  124 Tips for Fun, Faith & Good Grades, is available at amazon.com/dp/B09QFB9DJ9.

No comments:

Post a Comment