Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2021

MOST Embarrassing College Ministry Experience?

All of us can think of times we have said something dumb, etc, but for most of us there is that one glaring moment or experience that is easily the most embarrassing.

My first year as BSU Director at Henderson State University, we were told that Arkansas was going to do a joint International Student Retreat with Oklahoma to be held at a camp in Oklahoma.  We were to contact the international students on our campus and try to enlist them to go.  That was not a major task for me as at that time, there were only eight (8) internationals on our campus.  I contacted all eight and told them about the event.  Three indicated that they wanted to go.  So, I let the state office know.  The bus was leaving from Little Rock and we were told what time to be there.

The day came and I took my three students to Little Rock to get on the bus.  It was then I noticed that the other BSU Directors were not just there bringing their students.  They were getting on the bus too!  It had never dawned on me that I was supposed to go.  One or two of the other BSU guys said, "Aren't you going?"  

I was so green it had never even entered my mind that I was to go.  And, I am sure it never entered the minds of my supervisors to tell me I was supposed to go.  Of course, the College Ministers were going with their students.  As I drove home that day, I thought two things:  how stupid am I and I wonder how hard my co-workers on the bus are laughing at me. I have no memory of my boss really chewing me out.  I think he knew I had totally realized I was an idiot! 

I still get a little red when I think about it. Some of my take-aways from that most embarrassing experience has been to try to NOT ASSUME new people know things and to give a little GRACE when something happens because they did not know and I did not tell them about it.

What is your MOST embarrassing college ministry moment?

 Arliss' books are on sale this month:  FIXING A BROKEN COLLEGE MINISTRY is $5.50 at amazon.com/dp/1521876665.  "Arliss' tips and suggestions for a 'broken ministry' can be used to elevate a healthy one to the next level." You can connect to "A FORMULA" and "ALMOST EVERYTHING" here also.

No comments:

Post a Comment