Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2021

"6 Questions to Ask About Your Start of School Events"

If the first two to three weeks define our whole school year, we must continue to evaluate our plans as realistically as possible.

6 Questions to Ask:

1.Do my events the first two weeks have at least some fun element attached to them?  I am a little contradictory here in my feelings.  I am all about doing fun events to meet and connect with new people.  HOWEVER, I think it is possible to be so fun event focused that new students have no idea who or what hosted this event. In more recent years, I have leaned toward doing more regular event (Worship, Lunch, etc) but with fun and food attached to it.  That way they knew what we did on Thursday night.  The Lunch Program would have a very attractive or fun speaker, but it would still be our Lunch Program. 

2.  Am I serving student friendly food and making that clearly known in the publicity and promotion?  Food serves two purposes.  It helps students decide to come, but it gives them a reason to stay afterwards and talk to people.  Eating is a connection time.  I am aware of one ministry that served pizza cut up into what they called "cocktail size" servings after every worship ALL YEAR.  It was a reason to hang around and visit without feeling dumb and awkward.

3.  Am I teaching and training my core students the importance of their actions at these opening events?  If returning students are just hugging and visiting with friends from last yew, new students will quickly feel left out.  Or at best, they will not get connected to anyone that will help them return.  Don't just assume your core students will know how important their actions are.

4.  Do I have a QUICK follow up plan? Not only is it important to follow up on those who have come for the first time, but it matters how quickly it happens. Make it a goal to have a contact with every new person within 24 hour of their visit.  My second goal was for it to be a student AND staff follow-up.  There are lots of reasons for that.

5.  How does my budget and level of excellence in these first events compare to fraternity/sorority enlistment/rush events?  Some would argue that is not an apples to apples comparison. But, many students will make that comparison.  Is it ok for Christian events to be second rate?  And, excellence is not just about money.

6.  Are my website/social media posts and starting schedule up to date NOW?  I am still seeing lots of social media/website posts that are left over from spring or even prior to that.  Many believe that the first time many students visit your ministry is on social media.

My axiom for the first 2 to 3 weeks:Spend wisely extravagantly!.....Whatever is extravagant for your budget.

Arliss Dickerson's college ministry books are on sale in August at amazon.com/dp/B08CMD9CXX.  

No comments:

Post a Comment