Search This Blog

Thursday, September 24, 2020

Trusting and Adjusting by David Buschman, Campus Minister, Princeton University

David Buschman is one of those great Baptist Collegiate Ministers whose salary was terminated some years ago and began raising his salary.  He continues to serve at Princeton University building on his several years of investment there.  This is from a newsletter sent to his supporters and prayer partners that very well describes some of what is happening in college ministry in situations where students are not on campus or activities are limited.


We are making headway in this most unusual semester of campus ministry.  At first, I didn't know where to begin and a few technology snags made it worse, but I assume everyone has a version of that story now.  I prayed and reached out to students amid their own disappointment and uncertainty.  In July, they learned that fall sports were canceled; in August, that the would not be allowed to return to campus this academic year.  It's all virtual classes at PU without students on campus, plus a new academic calendar culminating with exams prior to Christmas, so we're adapting.

There's no manual on doing campus ministry in global pandemics yet the Gospel truths remain and the Great Commission stands.  As a friend put it, "We're all freshmen now!"  Let's do campus ministry without food, retreats, music, mission trips and being in the same room.  Huh?

As students wrapped their heads around this new reality, and responded to me, I learned that much of the large and small group ministry events we offered in April & May proved helpful & important to them, and they want us to continue.  (Wish I knew that at the time, but welcome to the world of young adult non-feedback!)  They desire to pursue Godand stay connected with each other in this ministry.  It's been quite heartening and our first few large and small group meetings have been strong and well attended and as good as any we've had.  Praise God.  I'm amazed.

Students are helping me reach out to frosh and set up virtual student activities fairs.  While its been harder to find new students, we're reaching them gradually.  

As it turns out, students are clustering in living arrangements with classmates & teammates wherever there's ample WIFI.  Some have gathered in nearby Princeton area, but most sought areas where they could train, live, and be less restricted than NJ--eg..FL, SC, CA, CO, UT, VA.  It's wild--they have pooled "room & board" monies and tried to make the most of it while also managing school demands.  As one remarked, "Otherwise it's all the rigorous academics of college with none of the desirable features (i.e. peers, extra-curriculars, meals together, etc.).  And many will move each new month.  About 20% have taken a deferral year.  Some remain at home or more isolated, which presents distinct psychological and scheduling challenges.  So I lead a campus ministry scattered across multiple time zones and living situations.  Who knew?

In light of activities have have been removed, my accumulated years of relationships with administrators & coaches & staff have proven invaluable.  No access to my office.  No popping in to athletic practices & games and no lunch visits with prospects.  No handshakes and fist bumps or light-hearted banter (Ok, well, maybe some banter).

I'm embracing days full of ministry opportunities as I text & call students, and host Zoom gatherings.  It's more screen time than I prefer but there's solid discipleship happening.  I'm pleasantly surprised.  Two months ago I wasn't sure how this ministry would look, and knew I'd be stretched as its leader.  Now I'm charging ahead striving to connect students with God and each other and God's mission for their lives and I have plenty of students in which to invest & train.  As I reflect, I'm bemused by it all and hopeful in God's calling.  I'm also grateful for your support which it makes it possible for me to share God's love & truth with these collegians.

Trusting and Adjusting,

Busch & Lynn

I (Arliss) might add that many of these who are raising their salaries have lost regular monthly income due to the current economic situation, job loss, etc.  So, sending a one time gift or committing to do a regular monthly gift is an extra blessing and often needed in these days.

Arliss Dickerson is a college ministry coach, blogger, and author.  His new book, ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY, is available at amazon.com.  Type in his name or the title.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this perspective from David Buschman, Arliss. He is indeed one of the best.
    —Robert Turner

    ReplyDelete