Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Thanks for the Positive Words About ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY!

I am grateful for many who have sent me a personal message about my new book, "Almost Everything About College Ministry:.  My goal was to do something that would be helpful to both the brand new to college ministry and those that are wise veterans, but still growing and learning.

A College Minister I did not know called this week to tell me that they were establishing a large library with materials for both Christians and non-Christians.  He said they were placing "Almost" in their section for students considering full time ministry. My hope is that God might use it to help some see that God is calling them to the college campus.  I have been pleased to hear from some "Intern" types who have said they have found it helpful or that their staff was using it as part of their study and weekly meeting time.  One surprise message I got was from a pastor who was reading it.  It had not occurred to me that pastors might read it.  But, I think the more our pastors see the challenges and how to's of college ministry, the more it will increase the possibility of what churches can do both in their own ministry and in the support of campus based college ministry.

One of the reasons I started writing college ministry materials many years ago was the realization that there was so little published in our field.  Selling college ministry books is not the way for a book publisher to survive and thrive.  And, with major publishing companies not doing these type materials, those that are out there do not get promoted.  So, many are not ever aware of them.  You do me, and I hope our college ministry family, a great favor when you pass the word about materials you find helpful.  Now that Southern Baptists, at this point, have no national office, I would not anticipate we will see any new materials published in the near future from Baptists officially. But,  I think there will be some positive developments down the road.

A friend called recently to ask, if I were already at work on "Everything Else About College Ministry".  I am leaving that for one of you to write.  One of my goals has been to encourage and prod more College Ministers to write something.  We need to continue to learn from each other.  Everyone does not need to re-invent the wheel.  Pass on what you are doing.  And, I am glad to post brief articles by others in my Blog, collegeministrythoughts.blogspot.com.  Please send me something and I will do my best to use it almost immediately.

Again, thanks for the encouraging words and beneficial criticisms for "Almost".  Also, ONE WAY YOU CAN HELP is to post a "Customer Review" on the amazon page for "Almost".  It does not have to say it is the greatest thing since college tee shirts and can say what you see as the pluses and minuses of the book.  Believe it or not, those reviews are beneficial to the book and others getting it.

Blessings to all of you, not just in the Baptist college ministry family, but to all in the wide college ministry family.  Keep doing it.  Don't be discouraged!  God is always up to way more than we know!!

Arliss Dickerson is a college ministry coach, blogger, and author.  His new book, ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY, is available at amazon.com.  Type in his name or the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment