Search This Blog

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Lessons from the Life of Billy Graham

I have admired Billy Graham since I was a young boy going to church.  My folks would watch his crusades that were televised and that was where I was first exposed to him.  I took my girls to Little Rock to hear him preach when they were young.  I wanted them to be able to say they had heard the best known and most popular preacher of our time.  One of my goals was to get to meet him in person, but I was not able to do so.

In the announcement of his passing, I have considered these lessons from his life and ministry:

1.  Someone has said, "Billy Graham just preached one sermon his whole life...he just did it under different titles.".
I don't know if that was meant as a criticism or a compliment.  I really would regard it as a compliment.  Mr. Graham knew what his message and purpose was and he never strayed from it.  All of us have our personal message that God has given us.  Speak to that which is the passion God has placed in you.

2.  He avoided temptation.
After Graham had done the crusade in Little Rock, a story appeared in the paper that he had pulled the cable to the TV in his hotel room loose from the wall.  When asked about it he said, "I did not want to be tempted to be watching TV when I needed to be studying, praying, or.writing."  He did not just "hope" he would not waste time or be tempted.

3.  He was liberal.
It is interesting that Graham was accused of being liberal because he would cooperate with all different "brands of Christians".  They did not have to be just alike to cooperate together for the good of the kingdom.  I like that!

4.  There was no hint of scandal connected to him personally or financially.
He did not build a personal kingdom and seemingly went out of his way to avoid the money and trappings of fame that has brought many high profile preachers down.  Our faith and message has been damaged today by many who seem to be more about the fame and their own private jet.

5.  Some of his kids went astray while growing up.
Lots of godly Christian parents have and can take solace in the fact that one or more of Graham's children went astray from the faith in their growing up.  If Billy Graham's kids weren't perfect, it makes all of us parents feel a little better now and then.

6.  Billy Graham was not perfect.
In later years Graham acknowledged that he was used and deceived in his relationship to President Nixon.   I personally really like knowing that God uses imperfect people!!

7.  Billy Graham was not the best preacher I have ever heard!
He was my number one preacher hero, but I can probably name five or six people I have heard I think were better preachers.  But, God used Billy Graham way more than any of them.  God's use of us does not depend just on our ability....WOW; that is a wonderful and encouraging word!!

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! I enjoy hearing he influenced people’s lives. Either in high school or college someone said to me, “You don’t know who Billy Graham is?” He was famous yet was no longer preaching on tv. So I had to go learn about him through reading.

    ReplyDelete