Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2020

Time to Bring Back an Old Idea?

 For many years our ministry paid a significant amount of money to have a high quality, glossy, picture laden poster done that folded into a brochure.  We mailed it to every incoming freshman name we could get and we handed it out at Summer New Student Orientations.  Then, during the first days of school, we hung it on most anything that did not move.  We put it on class room bulletin boards.  We put it on dorm bulletin boards.  We put it on kiosks all around campus.  We taped it to the inside of bathroom stalls at eye level.  You get the idea.  We put it everywhere.

With the Covid crisis and no New Student Orientations, less and less mailing lists, etc is it time to start doing posters on campus again?  Long ago, our Publicity Team used to put out weekly flyers that had specifics of that week's event...the Bible Study/Talk title for our big weekly event, etc.  I am not saying this is a need now.

BUT AND HOWEVER, as this semester winds down, should we be doing a first class poster to plaster the campus with for the students that return in January...or February....or whatever unusual schedule your school is operating on??

MY RULES FOR POSTERS:

1.  The quality of the poster says something about the quality of the ministry.

2.  Pictures are a must. They draw attention.  They say way more than you can write that people will read.

3.  Show pictures of the events you are advertising.

4.  Have pictures that show students like the students you are hoping will respond.  Predominantly white ministries have a hard time reaching African American students.  Do any of your pictures have black students in them?  Are there Greeks in Greek letter shirts?

5.  Show FUN PICTURES!  I am just not spiritual enough to think all the pictures ought to be of students kneeling in prayer.  I know...it's just me.

6.  Have a picture of the meeting place, so it can be identified easily.  If you have a Center or a building or whatever, show where it is, or list the address, or tell what campus building or landmark it is located close to.

7.Possibly have a picture of you, the staff, and or the Leadership Team.

So, what if school is almost out and I don't have any pictures like that?  Call some of your students that are still around and make some fun pictures.  And, I bet some of your students have some pictures on their phones that would be great to use. Send out an SOS.  OR, is this the time to decide to have such a poster for next fall and plan now to make the pictures at events that will provide what you need for next fall's poster?

Two Quick Stories About Posters:  Sometimes, we would have an individual picture of me and my Associate on them.  One day I was in a dorm and the elevator I was on had one of our posters in it.  I got off at a floor and when I came back, someone had spit on my picture on the poster.  Glad I had not been there!  One night a freshman girl came to our worship event for the first time, I introduced myself to her and she turned red and said, "I know who you are; I saw your picture when I was using the bathroom this morning."

Is it time for posters to come back??  It may be a great new idea for these times!

Arliss Dickerson's new book, ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY, is available at amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment