Search This Blog

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Hard Work in College Ministry

My wife tells me I do not do well with being told I am wrong.  And, she is right. HOWEVER, a friend send me a message in regard to my blog, "The IT Factor in College Ministry".  In it I stated that the "IT Factor" is respect, not charisma, as some think and that respect is earned.

My friend, who is a college ministry leader and supervisor said he agreed with everything I wrote, EXCEPT, I left out hard work.  He is totally correct.

I am a huge believer in working hard, working regularly, being faithful to the job.  One reason I think I may have left it out of my list is, all the College Ministers I know work hard.  I have heard that there are some lazy ones, but I do not know them.  For one thing, I think lazy people do not last long in college ministry.

Nothing substitutes for hard work.  But, there is more than one way to work hard.  I have a friend in college ministry who works unbelievably hard both during the week and on weekends.  But then, he will take a week's vacation in the middle of the semester!  I could never do that....not in the middle of the semester.  But, I paced myself more on a regular pattern and took some extra time in the slower seasons.  Our "Work Hard Patterns" are different.

SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR WORKING HARD

1.  Find what hard work pattern works best for you.  Are you the go hard night and day and then take a few days break?  Or, are you the consistent schedule person?  Don't just copy your hero or role model.

2.  Never forget that hard work done wrong or ineffectively is still ineffective.  Beware of trying to substitute hard work for a good and workable strategy.  Being stubborn and hard work often go together, but can be fatal!

3.   Beware of "driving others" with your own inclination to work hard.  It is easy for others to feel that we have unrealistic expectations of them.  And, this can be particularly sensitive in working with college student volunteers.  And, different generations have different ideas about how and when to work hard.  

4.  Don't forget GRACE.  If I am honest, there is a little in me that feels you need to "earn your way" to heaven.  God loves us....even when we do not have 500 at our big event!

5.  Have a schedule that makes it possible for others to connect with you and they know when that is.  Working from midnight to 9:00 a.m. might work for you personally, but it does not make you easily available.  I am all about having posted hours or making it generally known that you are in your office or available at certain hours.  And, be faithful to that schedule.

6.  Do not cheat your family to work hard.  Sometimes that is a hard balance.  But, work at balancing it.

7.  If you have a boss or supervisor, make sure they know about and are on board with your work hard schedule.  If you are working well into the night and showing up at the office at noon, do they know what you are doing, or just think you are not working?  And, there are times we just need to be where we are supposed to be.

Keep working hard.  Nothing substitutes for it, but be a smart hard worker!

Arliss Dickerson's new book, ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY, is available at amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment