Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2018

What I Learned Writing FIXING A BROKEN COLLEGE MINISTRY

A couple of years ago a College Minister called to ask what materials was I aware of on college ministry revitalization. He and a group had looked and not found any.  I looked and did not find any.  So, I decided I would try to write something on it.

I started with the working title of "College Ministry Revitalization" and when I finished I thought that just sounded incredibly dull.  So, I decided to go with a more "punchy" title...thus, "FIXING A BROKEN COLLEGE MINISTRY".

Here are some things I have learned:

1.  Very few people think THEIR ministry is broken.

2.  Outsiders looking into some college ministries often are more critical of it and than the
leadership is.  Whether the outside view is accurate I am sure varies situation to situation.

3.  What some outsiders consider a broken college ministry is one where the leadership is happy with a certain number.  There is no sense of urgency or plan to go past their normal number.  The most common statement I hear there is, "They are happy with their 50.".  I hear this from interested outsiders and sometimes their supervisors.

4.  Shortly after writing "FIXING", due to a sudden necessary staff change at my church, I was asked to step in in July as the Interim College Minister.  We had had a large ministry that had gone to a small one due to turnover of College Ministers, some wrong decisions a few years back and changes at the church. Multiple issues are often involved in broken ministries.  Some good staffers had stabilized it, but it was not growing. I was facing the reality of applying what I had written.

5.  Fixing is painful.  It involves self-evaluation.  It calls for facing some sacred cows and deciding if they should be sacred.  It also involves the temptation of simply doing what draws a crowd.  I like crowds.

6.  It is slow.  It is a daily process that involves some steps forward and some back.

7.  Instant growth is often not healthy or sustainable, but it sure helps everyone involved feel like progress is being made and encourages people to keep on. Plus, others are more willing to provide necessary assistance and resources.

8.  Fortunately, if a ministry has been at low ebb, a little progress or growth can look big.....but...it is tempting to stop there and say we have arrived.  But, the ministry is still not what it should be or has not reached anywhere close to full potential.

9. A friend said I should have given it a more positive title (where was he when I coming up with the title?).  I guess "TAKING YOUR SENSATIONAL COLLEGE MINISTRY TO EVEN MORE SENSATIONAL HEIGHTS" would have been the way to go.

10.  I just signed on to do a second year as "Interim College Minister" at my church because fixing is not instant and one of the killers is constant turnover.  And, we have made progress and I genuinely think we can build on that progress.  Some obvious progress helps you keep going!

11.  One thing I have learned for sure is college ministry books entitled, "FIXING A BROKEN COLLEGE MINISTRY" don't sell well at all!


No comments:

Post a Comment