Search This Blog

Thursday, May 9, 2024

I Admit It.....I LOVE a Good Meeting!

 I know I am a freak of nature, but I love a good meeting.  I was with a group of Church College Ministers who said their greatest frustration was too many staff meetings and staff meetings that did not accomplish anything.  

The Value of Good Meetings:  First of all, it is my strong belief that the more leaders that are informed, bought in and feel like they have a say in what is going on, the stronger that organization will be....especially if a storm comes. But, it is especially important for a ministry staff to be connected, encouraging to one another and informed.

Some Keys to GOOD and PRODUCTIVE Meetings (Especially Staff Meetings):

1.  Have a set time to meet and start and end on time.  That is a frustration I hear regularly that a staff meeting went way over time.

2.  Meet somewhere private so as to not be interrupted.

3.  The leader should have an agenda and share that agenda in advance.  This allows others to get something on the agenda that they know needs to be addressed.  Plus, that allows some time to think about something that will be discussed.  That helps avoid those blank stares.

4.  Laugh during the meeting......at appropriate times.  Laughter is the lubrication of any meeting.  Don't be afraid of it.  Embrace it.

5.  Ask each staffer to share something in the ministry the past week that has been encouraging.

6.  Give the opportunity for any to share any major frustrations.....but beware of evolving into a "gripe session".

7.  Evaluate any major events just completed.

8.  What is coming up that anyone needs to know about?  How do each of us need to be on the same page about it and what is my responsibility?

9.  One practice I developed in later years in leading our staff meeting I would ask, "How have I been a jerk this week?"  Sometimes it brought a laugh......other times it helped us talk out a misunderstanding.

10.  Take prayer requests and pray....more than a quick perfunctory prayer.....more than one person pray.....pray like you are in the spiritual business.

A BONUS:  Occasionally, bring some sort of food treat to the meeting!

Arliss Dickerson's book, A 3 Part College Ministry Success Formula, is available at Amazon.com/dp/B0BZ6Q7HSV and Reaching MORE College Students is at Amazon.com/dp/B0BMW8NPMN.


No comments:

Post a Comment