Search This Blog

Sunday, November 6, 2022

A New College Ministry Tool to go with an Old Favorite or Two

 A college ministry veteran and friend called me all excited to say I needed to let College Ministers know about Shane Pruitt's new book, Calling Out the Called.  Most of us are familiar with Shane from his role as Next Gen Director for the North American Mission Board.  In fairness, I need to add that Scott Pace at Southeastern Seminary is also one of the authors.

I have long advocated every College Minister having at least two or three copies of Dr. Jeff Iorg's book, Is God Calling Me, to give to students who are sensing, wrestling with, or clarifying God's call in their life to vocational ministry.  I spoke with a freshman today that I am going to give a copy of this book.  One of the concerns of many is that it seems fewer young adults are expressing or responding to a call to ministry. I have no doubt that God is calling, but for many, there is a reluctance to respond or to know how to follow up on their initial response.

One of the key roles for a College Minister is to not only share the news of God's Call to some to serve in ministry roles, but to mentor and help them as they prepare for where God may lead them.  This is one of the most important things we can do for now and for the church of the future.  So, Calling Out the Called, is meant to be an aid to us as we help students. Some of the chapters include: "Wrestling with the Call"; "Balancing Family and Ministry" and "Persevering in Ministry".  I must confess that I have not read the book yet.  But, my friend does not get excited about much.  So, check it out.Amazon.com/dp/B0BL2833PH.

I would also remind you to check out and use sbccalled.com which is a great tool.  A parent recently said his son felt called to ministry, but had no idea what kind of role he might fit.  I was able to point him to www.sbccalled.com which has a great list and description of all kinds of ministry positions.  Plus, there are tons of other helps there for the student or you.  You don't have to be Baptist to use it.  I won't tell anybody.

If you serve in college ministry and are aware of students in your ministry sensing a call to ministry or just beginning to ask the question, "Is God calling me?", I would encourage you to make it a priority to meet with them regularly and be a guide and resource to them.  Who knows, the next Billy Graham might come from your ministry and be a blessing to the world.

Arliss Dickerson's book, Almost Everything About College Ministry, is available at Amazon.com/dp/B08CMD9CXX and A College Ministry Success Formula is at Amazon.com/dp/B091F5S1RF.


No comments:

Post a Comment