Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

4 Pillars of a Strong College Ministry

Through the years, I have been asked what the absolute basics of a strong college ministry are, other than just a movement of God's Spirit.  I think there can be a variety of valid answers to that question.  Here are what I think were the pillars of our ministry during my time at Arkansas State University. That is not to say it was perfect or reached all the students that it should have or that we tried to reach.  

4 Pillars of ministry that make the difference:

1.  I never felt alone.

I never felt that I was the only one that cared about ministry at Arkansas State.  My church loved me and my family and even promoted me and our ministry to the church as a whole.  Others cared.  An Associational Missionary drove an hour to see me one day and encourage me because he sensed I was struggling.  That was huge in what it said to me.  We must work at forming relationships that will nurture us.. Feeling alone in ministry is one of the killers.

2.  We had top notch student leaders.

Some of the sharpest students on campus were leaders in our ministry.  We tried to recruit, celebrate, and invest in student leaders. Part of having good student leaders is them being allowed to lead and their ideas being valued.  Some wise person has said, "We attract what we are."  When we work at excellence, others usually want to join in with that. 

3.  We had exceptional staff.

Never be afraid to hire people who are smarter, more talented, and better looking than you are.  In the end, you will look good.  Supervise them and expect them to fit and work within your philosophy, but give them room to do what they do best.  And, when it is time for them to go on, help them go, and rejoice in their steps.  AND, more sharp staff will want to follow them.  Be sure to give credit in public settings to co-workers.  Go out of your way to make sure they get lots of credit.

4.  Make a long term investment of yourself.

Some jobs and callings are for a season or two. That is usually part of starting out and gaining experience.  But, the ministries that really continue to thrive are where the leader can and has made a years long commitment.  It opens doors on campus and off.  As the College Minister ages, he or she becomes a peer with the administrators.  Trust is built. The ministry is known by the face of the leader.  That does not happen overnight.  Alumni begin to give back because they know what it meant in their lives.

What are the pillars in your ministry or what pillars are you trying to develop?

Arliss Dickerson's book, Tips for College Freshmen:  124 Tips for Fun, Faith & Good Grades, is available at amazon.com/dp/B09QFB9DJ9.

No comments:

Post a Comment