Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Are You a Speaker or a Preacher?

For a variety of reasons, I consider myself a speaker and not a preacher.  Partly, it relates to being a College Minister where we often speak in very "non-churchy" situations.  I have spoken for football pre-game chapels in a bar and have often been asked to be the emcee of a variety of events.  And, primarily I have spoken for Lunch Programs (where you have a solid 15 minutes) or just campus Christian weekly events.  I also remember as a kid that I asked my dad one time, "What is the difference in a speaker and a preacher?"  I had noticed that sometimes my church would announce that someone was coming to speak and other times they would say someone was coming to preach.  My dad scratched his head, thought a minute and said, "I think when you speak you have to have something to say."  People have often told me, "You don't sound like a preacher."  Some mean it as a compliment. 

Having attended somewhere in the neighborhood of more than 900 Lunch Programs at Arkansas State University Baptist Collegiate Ministry, I have seen speaking and preaching done a variety of ways and received....a variety of ways. 

Here are my thoughts on speaking to college students:

1.  BE RELATABLE
Coming across as human and likable is huge.  Tone is huge.  Sound and act like you are glad to be where you are and are not mad at anybody.  Using a normal tone of voice and smiling helps a lot.

2.TELL A STORY
We all love stories.  We listen to stories.  We remember stories.  Funny stories are the best....and that is different than corny jokes.  Don't read a story...tell it.  If it is a story on yourself acting dumb, that is even better.  But, it does not have to be about you and it does not have to be funny.  Just tell a story.

3.BE PRACTICAL
Tell how it relates to Bible and life.  Today's young adult wants to know more about how it works in life or affects their life than what 42 different scholars think about a Bible passage....and I am not knocking correct scholarly understanding.

4.  QUIT BEFORE THEY QUIT
Short and good is never bad.  Don't "over-talk" it. 

5.  GET OUT FROM BEHIND THE PULPIT OR LECTERN
Some years ago I quit standing behind anything.  I think for "non-churchy" students, that pulpit or lectern is a barrier.  It seems too formal or it reminds them of those boring classes where the prof reads from yellowed notes.

6.  HANG OUT
Talk to people before and after the event.  Be one of the group. 

7.  ASK A QUESTION
"How many of you have ever.....?"  I do that a lot and hold my hand up and invite a similar response.  Students tend to feel included in what is being said.  I even sometimes ask a question and then give a Gift Card for a free meal to a popular student eating place to the first one who answers.  You likely are not surprised how that picks up interest.

8.  DON'T READ IT
I have seen great content read to students that they did not listen to because it was read.  Tell what you have to say....don't read it.

9.  PRACTICE IT OUT LOUD FIRST
That's hard to do, I know.  But, it just makes it better!

Arliss Dickerson is a part time college ministry consultant for Lifeway Christian Resources and the author of five books on college ministry in eBook and print at amazon.com (type in Arliss Dickerson).

No comments:

Post a Comment