Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 9, 2018

5 Characteristics of This Generation?

Those of us who work with college students are always trying to understand each new generation and what their unique characteristics are.  I am often asked what is the difference I see in today's college students and when I started many, many, many years ago.  My answer is "lack of loyalty".  While this is not true to all students, I do see it in many more than previously.  As I have written previously, in the past when you reached a student they would likely stay active in your ministry for their whole time at the university.  In recent years, more students have to be re-enlisted annually.  Or, some will just say, I have done this a while and now I am going to be active in something different.  They do not act mad or hurt or left out.  They just are going to make a change.

O.S. Hawkins in his devotional boo, "The Joshua Code: 52 Scripture Verses Every Believer Should Know" lists what his summation of social trends are for today.  While I would not agree with his list completely, I find it interesting to consider.

Hawkins' List:
1.  Their number one quest is a meaningful relationship.

2.  They desire immediate gratification.

3.  They want something for nothing.

4.  They want guilt free living.

5.  They are on a search for prosperity.

Here are some of my observations:
1.  They desperately want and need close personal relationships but struggle with how to do it because of the "distance" social media has brought to relationships.

2.  They want to connect in some way to "world wide causes".

3.  They have a great distrust of the political system and therefore they start with some
wariness of most institutions.

4.  They do not accept an answer just because an authority figure gave it.

5.  They want to participate in worship....not just attend it.


Arliss Dickerson is the author of five books on college ministry available for 99 cents each in eBook format on Amazon.com.  His book, FIXING A BROKEN COLLEGE MINISTRY, is also available in paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment