Search This Blog

Friday, November 17, 2017

College Ministry from My Perspective: What Will it Take to Last?

Part 2 of my Ted Type Talk at the Alabama Unite Conference for College Ministers

WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO LAST?

1.  We must never think we it have it all figured out.....if you think you understand this business...you don't understand this business.
-We must keep learning.  The campus is constantly changing.

2. Don't bad mouth others who are doing college ministry differently than you are (Remember, it is being done more different ways now than ever before.).
-We all have crazy uncles....but they are still our uncle.
-When we bad mouth others in college ministry, it hurts college ministry as a whole.

3.  Look for ways to cooperate with or encourage those who are genuinely trying to honor the Lord and impact college students.
-When we compete, students sense it and students lose.
-But, don't ever be apologetic about what God has called you to do.

4.  Be willing to learn from those with whom you disagree....even theologically.
-We (Baptists, etc) don't have all the good ideas.

5.  Make a decision to be an Ambassador for College Ministry.
-Here is my story:  In the late 80's and early 90's I felt there was a lack of people speaking up about and for college ministry.  My students in seminary were studying books on college ministry written by folks in other denominations, not known for their college ministry.  I made a conscious decision that I wanted to be a voice in the college ministry discussion.  I wrote a little book entitled, "9 Shaping Principles of College Ministry".  I had it done at a copy store just off campus.  It was pitiful looking.  I am embarrassed when I look back at it now.  Three seminaries used it as a required text.  I am not exceptional.  I am just a little pushy!  I want to encourage YOU to be an Ambassador for College Ministry.  Speak about it.  Write about it.   Baptists have some of the best doing college ministry and we need you in the discussions that are happening today and shaping the future.

NEXT:  WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO STAY IN THE GAME?  Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment