Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2021

Do You Wear a Cap in Church or at the Office?

 During the Christmas season, our church has different families or groups light an Advent candle and read scripture related to the Christmas story.  Today during the contemporary service, a group of young adults did the lighting and scripture reading.  One of them had his ball cap on during it.  He did not mean to be rude or disruptive in any way.  He just wears a cap all the time.  

Recently, I was on a work Zoom call with two guys who are in significant positions in Baptist life.  They were both in their respective offices in different states.  Both of them had their caps on.  I was in a Zoom conference a while back and noticed that of  the fifteen or twenty in the seminar, the majority had their caps on. I wear a cap when I play golf, etc, but I don't wear one in meetings or church. 

So, what's my point....besides Zoom meetings are a way of life these days?  Wearing a cap in an indoor meeting or in church or not is a generational thing.  It has nothing to do with respect or being rude.  Younger guys just wear caps these days.  I have seen some raise their cap off their head when someone would lead in prayer. I was taught not to wear a cap inside or in church by my mother, who sometimes wore a hat to church.  In working with each other....PARTICULARLY college students and other young adults.... let's not let caps and things like that become an issue.  It is a reminder that different generations have different ideas about culture and what does and does not demonstrate respect.  Don't let the minors become majors.  Jesus didn't say anything about caps, so I guess He didn't see it as an issue that needed addressing.

Besides, I have been thinking about putting a cap on my desk and next time I am in a Zoom meeting and others have a cap on, I will put mine on.  And, I look really, really good in a cap!

Arliss Dickerson's college ministry books are available at amazon.com/dp/B08CMD9CXX.

No comments:

Post a Comment