Search This Blog

Thursday, August 20, 2020

End of a Chapter Or End of a Book? I still hear Calvin Miller's voice.

Dr. Calvin Miller, the great preacher, author, and teacher died eight years ago this week.  He was a favorite of mine.  Although in many circles he was a "big name", he did not act that way and did not "price" himself that way.  He spoke on our campus three or four times and always did it for whatever I offered him.  Money was not his driving force.

He said something once in a casual conversation that I have never forgotten and try to utilize in some of my decision making.

We were driving to another town in our area for him to speak at another college.  He was still pastor of the church in Omaha that he had started.  He had been contacted by a seminary about becoming their Preaching Professor  He was in the midst of making his decision as to what to do.  He said this, "I am trying to decide if I am at the end of a book or at the end of a chapter."  He said, "If I am at the end of a book, I will go to the seminary, but if it is simply the end of a chapter, I will start a new chapter at the church.".

That still resonates with me!  How many times have we confused the end of a chapter with the end of a book? All of us have friends in the ministry who jump from place to place very quickly.  Evidently, they are the authors of short books. 

But, here is the other thing, how often do we not realize that it is the end of a chapter in the ministry where we are and it is time to begin a new chapter?  I am not one for continual change.  I believe in  building over the long term.  Yet, sometimes there is the need for "the new".  We have become stale or the ministry has become stale and fresh air is needed.....a fresh wind of the Spirit is needed.

So, here are my take-aways from Calvin Miller's words:

1.  Sometimes, a book has come to an end and it is time to move or go on.

2.  Sometimes, it is time to begin a new chapter where we are.

3.  Some may "move" too quickly but, others keep trying to add on to the same chapter.  Don't ruin a good chapter by trying to extend it too far.  I am never a change for change sake person when it comes to ministry.  Just because something is the hot new trend, it does not mean your ministry needs to be doing it.  The strongest ministries usually keep building on some tried and proven things.  Yet, even the best chapters end and it is time to start a new one either personally or in the ministry as a whole. One example of that would be as we age, we need to do college ministry differently.  That is easy to confuse with the end of a book where it is simply time for a new chapter.

4.  When a book ends, end it well.  Leave it better than you found it.  All of us know the disappointment of a poor ending to a book in which we have invested lots of time.  Ending well likely is a plus to starting well in a different setting.

Calvin Miller is still speaking to me....and I hope to you.

Arliss Dickerson is a college ministry coach, blogger and author.  His new book, ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY, is available at amazon.com.  Type in his name or the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment