Search This Blog

Monday, July 13, 2020

The Judy Principle

The Covid health crisis has had us talking about how and what to do this fall since March.  Some have made plans, scrapped them and made more plans.  Now, as college administrators are beginning to announce their rules or guidelines for student events, plans can take a little more positive shape.  One Campus Minister recently learned he can have one hundred (100) at a meeting and so, that ministry is planning a 7:00 p.m. and a 9:00 p.m. worship event.  Another Campus Minister on a large deep south campus was told that fifty (50) was the max they could have at a gathering.  I have not heard their response yet.

One danger would be to simply say, "This fall is not normal and I will just ride it out."  In other words, it would be easy to not give it your best effort.  The two inherent dangers are to compare it to other years which is totally unrealistic and the other extreme is to say it does not matter.  To say it does not matter would be to miss the one opportunity some students will have to come to Christ or to get serious about growing in their relationship and service.

THE JUDY PRINCIPLE:  I had a student once named Judy.  She came by my office one day to drop something off and she was really dressed up.  I asked where she was going or what special event was on today.  She said she was on her way to take a test.  She said she always dressed up when she took a test.  She said it made her feel her best and be at her best.  I get that.  I teach a Sunday morning Bible study group on Facebook Live each Sunday morning for a group of older adults.  I dress up more then than I do any other day.  I even wear nice pants which no one sees on Facebook.  I am applying the Judy Principle.

For you, it may not be dressing up.  But, what is it that you can do that will cause you to give it your best this fall?  Whatever that is, that is The Judy Principle for you.  If you do not know YOUR Judy Principle, I would encourage you to give some thought to it.

You likely will not say this was your best fall ever, but you can say, "I gave it my best effort!"

Arliss Dickerson is a college ministry coach, blogger, and author.  His new book, ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY, is available at amazon.com.  Just type in his name or the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment