Search This Blog

Monday, January 29, 2018

Really REALLY Dumb Mistakes College Ministers Make

1.  Assuming everyone who will give to your ministry will do it electronically.
More and more I see college ministries listing a way to give to their ministry electronically and not doing a mailing to their alums or previous donors.  I know it is simpler and easier for them AND it is likely the way they do their giving now...even at their church.  Here is the problem, the people with the most money to give and who give generously to Christian causes are older people who either do not know how to give electronically or do not trust electronic giving.  A pastor friend who is getting ready to go into a building campaign said a consultant told him that there is a window right now that will soon close when the older generation is going to give away a significant amount of money prior to their passing.  But, it is not going to happen electronically (those are my words).  A friend whose ministry receives large gifts often gets a call from an older donor, "Do you want me to mail this check or do you want to come by and get it?".  He does not say, "Oh, just give it electronically."

2.  Not writing personal and timely thank you notes to donors.
I know I have harped on this way too much!  Here is the problem:  People complain to me about giving gifts to college ministries and never hearing anything back.  I personally experience it. A College Ministry Supervisor last week told me of having to respond to questions from a donor wondering if a specific campus ministry had received their check.  I recently read of parents who would not let their children play with a toy or cash a birthday check until they had done a thank you message.  That is a pretty good rule.  One college ministry donor told me last week of giving a gift at the end of the year before Christmas and the ministry did not cash it in time to be part of their year end tax report.  The donor said they counted it in the new year....so the donor let that be their contribution for that year....instead of giving again as they had planned.

3.  Titling a book, FIXING A BROKEN COLLEGE MINISTRY.
I have learned the hard way (low book sales) that no one thinks their ministry is broken.  Others may think and say it is broken, but the leader does not see it that way.  A college ministry leader said, "Why didn't you give it a more positive title?".  I should have sought his advice.  The working title was, REVITALIZING A COLLEGE MINISTRY and I thought that was super dull and didn't really get to the point.  But, next time I will title it, TAKING YOUR SEMI-SENSATIONAL COLLEGE MINISTRY TO A SUPER SENSATIONAL LEVEL.  And, since my purpose in doing my college ministry books is not to make money, but to help the college ministry world, maybe that will get it used a bit more.  Watch for that new book!

4.  Not getting out on campus.
In the deep south, we still have students come to us because of what we are offering.  But, that is less true every day. If we are going to reach students that do not know Christ or who have walked away from faith, we must be out and about on campus.  Recently, we had a whole fraternity attend one of our worship events.  They came strictly as a result of a personal contact we made while being out and about on campus.  Let's get out more.

5.  Preaching instead of teaching.
What's the difference?  When I was a kid I asked my dad what the difference was in preaching and speaking.  My dad scratched his head and said, "I think when you speak you have to have something to say."  Here is the difference in college ministry.  Teaching involves having a plan of some things that students need to know, basic faith and life actions they need to be taking.  Some of those need to be talked about EVERY year.  Preaching involves talking about a scripture or theological topic you are excited about or that sounds new and challenging.  Teaching has a plan for others.  Preaching often is coming out of our own heart and life.  Students need some good preaching.  But, they also need some solid teaching in every college ministry.  Do you see yourself as a Preacher or Teacher?  Does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment