Search This Blog

Friday, January 26, 2018

Being a Better College Ministry Speaker

I was a Speech Major in college.  I love hearing people speak who do a good job.....I not only enjoy their information when well presented....I enjoy seeing "The Art of Speaking" well done.  As an Interim Church College Minister, I attend the weekly Baptist Collegiate Ministry Lunch program to be supportive and to connect with students.  I saw someone do an excellent job of speaking this week and it reminded me again of the basics that work in speaking to college students.  AND, they are basics we ALL can do.

1.  Be Relatable - Coming across as likable is huge.  How do you "act likable"?  Tone is huge.  Sound and act like you are glad to be where you are and you aren't mad at anybody.  Smiling goes a long way.  Using a normal tone of voice is important.  Some years ago I told a guest Lunch speaker prior to his speaking that if he would just speak to them and not "preach at them" they would listen and respond.  He said, "If I wanted a speaker, I should have gone to Radio Shack."  He proudly "preached at them" and they did not listen.  He was not relatable.

2.  Tell a Story - We all love stories.  We listen to stories.  The Lunch speaker this week started with a funny story about his first skiing experience.  He told it well and it was easy to connect to.  A good story does not have to be our own personal experience.  But, I am of the belief that it is much better to TELL a story than it is to read it.  Some speakers read a story in order to make sure they have all the details exactly correct.  I think that diminishes from the story.  Stories are meant to be told...not read.  Practice telling your story before you speak.  But, tell a good story, if at all possible.

3.  Be Practical - The Lunch speaker's point was super practical.  Everyone in the room could relate to it.  When it was over, it was super clear what we were to do.  It was just every day good sense and it was biblical.  Good sense and the Bible...now there is a combination.

I am currently studying II Corinthians in my personal Bible study.  I have been struck by Paul's statements in Chapter 10 and 11.  In Chapter 10 verse 10  he quotes his critics as saying, "in person he is unimpressive and his speaking amounts to nothing.".  In 11:6 Paul says, "I may not be a trained speaker....".  This is the guy that God has possibly used more than any other to affect and impact the world for faith.

Two truths for me:  First, we all are going to be criticized.  Realize it and accept it.  Second, we all can do an even better job speaking.  I want to....how about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment