Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

What College Ministry Alums Say Mattered

I served for nine years as Baptist Student Union Director at Henderson State University.  It was my first college ministry job and I loved it.  Then, I served thirty two (32) years as Baptist Campus Minister at Arkansas State University. We had some great students.    Several of them have been kind enough to write me letters expressing their thanks for our ministry.  Have you ever wondered what your alums took away and as they look back some years later what mattered to them?

Here are some quotes taken from those letters:

"Leadership opportunities were affirming and shaping."

"Being part of a positive group"

"Time of exploration of who I was"

"Always felt you believed in us."

"Accountability for responsibility"

"Refuge from a crazy world"

"You believed in me.  You saw value in me while I was still searching."

"You told me, 'We might have a place for you on our freshmen leadership team.'."

"Weekly one on one meetings/Accountability"

Some of these students came to know Christ and others grew in their walk with the Lord during that time.  Many of them serve in key Christian roles.

FOUR Things Students Need from a College Ministry:

1.  A safe place/Refuge
2.  Affirmation
3.   Responsibility
4.  Accountability

No comments:

Post a Comment