Search This Blog

Monday, December 4, 2017

NOT the Blog Post I Planned to Write

Because I have been involved with college ministry for a long time and that I have worked for Lifeway as a part-time College Ministry Consultant, I get lots of calls asking if I can recommend someone for a college ministry position.  The ones looking for a church based one almost always say very early in the conversation, "They need to be a good speaker/preacher.".  I usually say something like, "There are not many of those out there.".

I have been planning for a while to do a Blog highlighting a particular strong/large church college ministry where the college minister was NOT a speaker/preacher type. It would help illustrate how to do it well and big without the proverbial speaker/preacher.  I was not aware of one because most of my personal connections are campus based folks.  I know lots of strong/large campus based college ministries where the college minister is not a speaker/preacher.  In fact, some of the largest campus based are led by "non-speaker/preachers". I asked two friends who do college ministry consulting and have traveled farther and wider than I have to tell me a large church based ministry that fit that description.  One said he did not know of one.  The second gave me the name of one and I knew the college minister.

So, I sent him a message saying I wanted to do a Blog highlighting his ministry.  He responded that I had been mis-informed.  He speaks 70% of the time.  So, why are there large campus based ministries with a "non-speaker/preacher" and not large church based ministries with a "non-speaker/preacher"?

Here are five thoughts:
1. Campus based college ministries can and do invite guest speakers from different churches in the area.  Church based college ministries obviously do not invite other pastors and staffers from area churches.
2. It is my observation that campus based college ministries are generally more training focused and church based ministries generally are more worship focused.
3. Churches (other than campus church plants) are usually away from campus.  Therefore, it requires "more of an event" for students to go to the church activity.
4. Most campus based college ministers have no desire or sense of calling to the pastorate while many church college ministers see that as a strong possibility.  Therefore, they are inclined to preach and are drawn to the church based ministries.  Many who feel called to college ministry do not see themselves as speakers and are therefore more drawn to campus based that generally does not make speaking a high priority.
5.  You aren't going to like this one!!  Good speaker/preachers are in high demand and therefore have more options open to them.  Churches pay more and provide more benefits.  I am NOT saying church ministers are just there for the money and I am NOT saying campus based folks are there because they cannot get a church.  But, I am saying we all have to provide for our family and also are drawn to places that demonstrate a desire to value college ministry.  Money is one of the ways we demonstrate what we value.

I would love to hear other thoughts and ideas....either as comments here or as personal messages.  And, I still want to highlight a strong/large church based college ministry where the college minister is not a speaker/preacher.  I do want to reiterate my belief that a college ministry can be strong without being large.

No comments:

Post a Comment