Search This Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2017

7 Things Every College Minister Should Schedule

All of us know the feeling of days where we have been crazy busy all day, but at the end of the day are not sure what we have accomplished.  I have found having some things scheduled that I do at the same time every week make a huge difference in me getting them done AND in FEELING I got some things done that matter.

1.  Prep Time - If you speak at your large group meeting or lead one or more Bible Study or Discipleship Groups, being prepared is huge.  And I think most of us would confess to going into some of those feeling less than prepared.  Schedule a set prep time and do it somewhere you will NOT be interrupted.

2.  Have a Set Time and Day(s) You Eat Where Students Eat - I am a huge proponent of eating with students in food courts, cafeterias, etc.  Sometimes I have one or more students I plan to connect to and other times it is just random.  This usually leads to meeting new people and great "Bump Visits"...those 60 second conversations God uses.

3.  Weekly Meetings with Key Leaders -  Student Leaders multiply our ministry and it builds deeply into their lives.  This is a priority on the schedule.

4.  Paperwork Time or Day -  Most of us don't love doing our paperwork, reports, etc.  But, they must be done.  I found Fridays to be the best paperwork day.  Friday mornings were my time to focus on paperwork.

5.  Follow-Up Time - Plan a time after each of your weekly events to follow up on new people.  I am convinced the sooner the follow-up the more effective and meaningful it is.

6.  Plan to Walk Through the Campus Student Center EVERY DAY - Again, we will have some great "Bump Visits" and it will keep us aware of the campus vibe as a whole.

7.  Schedule Non-Necessities BEFORE First Month - Do everything in advance that can be done before the first month of school starts so things that can only happen then take priority.  Your first month shapes your ministry for the whole year.


No comments:

Post a Comment