Search This Blog

Sunday, January 7, 2024

3 Toughest Jobs for College Ministers #2

 A college ministry veteran said to me that his three toughest jobs were supervision, networking and administration.

Networking:

We must network for 2 reasons:

    1.  Our own personal health - One of the greatest killers of College Ministers if feeling alone and that no one else cares.  And, dumping all our frustrations on our spouse is harmful to them and the relationship as a whole.  It is hugely important that we connect with others who have the same calling and know what it is to put your heart and soul into something and see not much response.  Or, that you and your ministry are not even treated with respect.  I would not have survived my tenth year in college ministry if it were not for a friend/mentor in another state who would call me and just listen.  He helped save me, my ministry and my marriage.

    2.  Growing our ministry and our personal skills - We need two types of relationships.  We need peers, those who are at a similar stage as we are and we need mentors, those that are ahead of us in understanding and knowledge.  Several years ago, we had a seminar at a college event that invited any College Minister who would like a mentor to show up.  The room was packed!  We don't have to learn everything about college ministry the hard way.  Take advantage of those who are going down the same roads as you or have already been down those roads.....and survived!

How to Network:

One of my personal favorites is the National Collegiate Ministries Summit which is meeting in Memphis in May this year.  This is not a plug...just telling you the truth.  One reason it is a favorite is I believe that it is big time important that we connect with people from other states or regions.  In my getting to travel around the country and seeing different ministries, I have learned that different states and areas have a little different take on some methods and approaches.  When we connect to them, it broadens our own view.  Also, I don't think we will usually be best buddies with those we see things differently than, BUT, I think where possible we need to have some connection to those folks because they will challenge our thinking and presuppositions.  

I have a college ministry friend who is much more intellectual than me.  He tells me about books he is reading.  Out of those, I pick one or two that I would not have known about.  I have a crazy hyper college ministry friend who does more things in a month than I have ever done.  He challenges me to think on that side of college ministry.

Things to remember in networking:

-Someone does not have to be famous to know something you do not know.

-You need friends in college ministry who are older and younger than you are.  Different age categories see and understand things differently.

-You need to be intentional in networking to share what you know and particularly looking for those younger or newer in college ministry you might encourage.

Next is #3 Administration.

Arliss Dickerson's book, Tips for College Freshmen:  124 Tips for Fun, Faith & Good Grades, is available at Amazon.com/dp/B09QFB9DJ9 and Almost Everything About College Ministry is at Amazon.com/dp/B08CMD9CXX.


No comments:

Post a Comment