Search This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2021

Can Campus Christian Events be TOO Churchy?

 Can campus Christian events be too churchy?  My short answer is that I believe some are.  I am all about campus based ministries doing a weekly worship event.  I spoke for one for several years. But, I think there is a trend right now, at least in some situations, that they have become "just a worship service".  

What's wrong with that?  Two things are wrong with that in my mind.  First, if we are trying to reach students who are not believers or those who have walked away from church, why are we doing something they have already indicated they do not want to attend (a church service)?  Second, if we are not trying to replace local church involvement for them, why offer something similar and more tailored to them, than what they would experience at a church?

So, how do we worship, study the Bible and not be too churchy?  Students switch gears really well. In fact, that is the way their minds are wired these days.  In my mind, the perfect weekly event will contain some fun and laughter.  Early in the semester, there can be some simple mix and mingle activities that help students feel at ease and meet others.  There can always be a fun game where everyone participates or different ones are selected from the audience to "perform" in front of everyone else.  Some try to achieve this serious and fun balance by always having a fun event afterwards. And, that is great, but I am all about some fun in the mix of the worship and Bible study.

In our ministry, we always had our Homecoming Variety Show, which was strictly a fun event, during our regular worship time during Homecoming Week.  Not surprisingly, we would have a much larger than usual attendance.  Some came who were not regulars and others came who had never been before. As a result some would make connections and come back.  They knew when and where and had seen we were not too stiff.

What about using "non-Christian" music?  I must admit I wrestle with this one a little bit.  I am all about having music playing as people arrive (at least 15 to 30 Minutes prior).  And, I am real good with at least some of it being popular "non-Christian" music....as long as it is not vulgar....not just ANY popular music.  So, what about doing some popular music during the event or program?  Notice, I flinch at calling it "a service". What about the worship band leading a popular song or someone singing one?  For me the concern here is that we do not let that become the dominating music and I think real care would need to be taken in what songs were done.  But, I think they should be the minority of the music done during the actual event.

I do not think fun and Christian are ever opposites.  And, healthy laughter is a plus to any event.  What about it?  If you lead a campus based ministry, is your weekly "worship event" too churchy?  What about those that lead a church based college ministry, if you do a weeknight event?  Can it be too churchy?  Are you replacing the gathering of the church as a whole?

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or how they balance this in their weekly "event".

Arliss Dickerson's brand new book, A COLLEGE MINISTRY SUCCESS FORMULA, is available at amazon.com/dp/B091F5S1RF.  The new classic, ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY, is available at Amazon.com/dp/B08CMD9CXX.

No comments:

Post a Comment