Search This Blog

Monday, October 5, 2020

Part of My Story Or How I Started Writing College Ministry Stuff

Some have asked how I got to writing about college ministry.  In the late 80's and early 90's I felt there was a lack of people speaking up about and for college ministry.  As many have said, "College ministry is the best kept secret."  I had students going to seminary and taking college ministry classes.  It seemed what they were studying was either not practical or not really preparing them to do college ministry.  In my desire to grow and learn, I asked my students about the text books for their college ministry classes and learned they were written by people not known for doing college ministry.  None were out of Baptist life but from denominations not known for their ministry to college students.

I felt then as I do now that some of the best work (not all the best work) was being done by Southern Baptists and therefore, we should be contributing to the conversation about how and why to do it. I made a conscious decision that I wanted to be a voice in the college ministry conversation.  Not because I was smarter or whatever, but that somebody needed to be speaking up.

I wrote a little book, "Nine Shaping Principles of College Ministry".  I had it printed (or more accurately "run off") at a copy story just off of campus.  It looked TERRIBLE!  I am totally embarrassed when I look at it now.  But here is the thing, three seminaries used it as a required text. I realize now not because it was brilliant or even good.  There just was not much out there and it was practical.  Practical is all I know.  Later, I revised it and added a section on specialized Freshmen Ministry and at Calvin Miller's suggestion, called it "The 10 Commandments of College Ministry".

Why do I share this story?  We need more College Ministers in Baptist life and in whatever tribe you serve to speak up and write about college ministry.  I made a conscious decision to be a spokesman and to put myself out there.  I believe we need more who will choose to do that.

-Write something. What do you write?

-Some of you do small groups in a fabulous way.  Write how you do it and what makes it work.

-Some of you do evangelism better than most of us.  Write how you do it and how you train students to do it.

-Some of you raise money and develop staff better than others.  Write about it.  We desperately need more staff in these days and particularly when College Minister positions are being cut.

-Some of you are great at speaking at your student meetings, write what you have learned about how to do it and what really clicks with today's generation.

-Some of you are fabulous with technology and you use tools I have never even heart of!  Write "The 10 Best Technology Tools for College Ministers".

Someone asked my why I have always published my own stuff instead of it being done commercially.  Twenty five years or so ago a person at Lifeway said they wanted to talk to me about writing a college ministry book for them and that they would get back to me in the next couple of weeks.  So, I decided while I waited, I would get on with doing my own thing.  And, Amazon Self Publishing sure beats that copy store off campus!

Write something!  Speak up about college ministry.

Make a decision to be an Ambassador for College Ministry!  I am not exceptional....just a little pushy!!

Arliss Dickerson's new book, ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT COLLEGE MINISTRY, is available at amazon.com.  Type in his name or the title. 

No comments:

Post a Comment