Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Can a College Ministry Weekly Event be "Too Churchy"?

I love the wide variety of Christian events for college students I see and attend on campuses and in churches.  I love the informality, the energy, and creativity.  Some College Ministers say they "speak" weekly and others say they "preach". I think the differences sometimes refer to style or just a difference in terminology.  But, to me it raises the question, "Is it possible for college ministry events to be too churchy?"

One of the ideas I have been committed to my whole ministry on campuses as a ministry of local churches is that we not replace the church where there are lots of great local church options.  For church College Ministers, I would say there is always the line of tension that the college ministry does not in reality become a separate church from those who are not college students.

A great concerns of our time is the large number of college students who have come to faith in Christ and been active in a church walking away from faith and church while in college.  Some studies indicate they are not coming back.....at least immediately following college. To me part of connecting with and helping those who have "Prodigaled" (a new term I've heard lately for those who have walked away.) is that we do things that specifically relate to where they are, but not replace church itself.

As a College Minister that has spoken for a weekly event and spoken in Sunday Worship services at churches, I would have to tell you that my Sunday preaching is very different from my Thursday talks.  As you would guess, these talks were a lot about "Love, Sex, and Marriage"; "Relationships"; "Setting Priorities" and even "Time Management".  College student events give us the opportunity to speak about things we would not do in Sunday Sermons at church.  There is a preacher saying called, "Preach your sugar stick".  If you don't speak that language, it means to preach your best, most liked sermon to impress people.  My all time most requested talk is, "7 Red Flags in a Dating Relationship".  It has lots of scripture in it, but it is not a Sunday church sermon.  I have never done it in a Sunday service and will never do so.  But, it has fit in lots of college ministry events.....by me and others.

Some would say because of the lack of awareness of scripture and God's basic message of salvation in today's college students, we just need to always speak a very basic gospel message.  While I agree and lament the lack of "Gospel knowledge", I think there is a temptation that we not speak regularly to specific college issues and questions.  I believe the Bible is the most incredible and practical book  in how to live life in an every day way.  Lots of students don't know the Bible is practical.

And, long ago I decided that fun and faith were not opposites.  Laughter is a gift from the Lord. When people are laughing, they are least guarded and most at ease.  I like collegiate events that have fun ice breakers in them and people are sharing funny things that have happened to them on campus, etc.  The "fun" doesn't have to happen after the last amen is said.  I did cringe a bit when a college worship band leader who had just participated in a fun game in the middle of a weekly event had to throw up in a waste basket before she could come back to lead the set before I spoke.  But, college ministry is messy sometimes!

College students come to college looking for fun and friends.  I happen to believe all of that can happen in a weekly spiritual collegiate event where they hear about the Lord and His love for them.  Some even come to Christ in those "fun settings". Whether you preach or talk, I hope you are speaking to college student issues.....and having lots of fun with students and the most practical book ever written.  "A merry heart doeth good..."  Proverbs 17:22

Arliss Dickerson is a part time college ministry consultant for Lifeway Christian Resources and is the author of five books on college ministry available in eBook and print at amazon.com (type in Arliss Dickerson).

No comments:

Post a Comment