Search This Blog

Friday, June 2, 2017

Some Books to Read this Summer

While I functioned on a college campus calendar, I would always put books back to read in the summer.  I read some throughout the year, but not as much as summer.  We really tend to read in two categories, personal help and ministry help. Here are some I would recommend for your consideration.  These would fall mostly in the ministry help category.

21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader, John Maxwell
I particularly like this one from two different standpoints.  It helps me grow individually, but it also helps me in knowing better how to encourage, help, and strengthen my student leaders.  The chapters are short and can be quickly read.

7 Habits of Effective Ministry, Andy Stanley
Yes, I have recommended this book before.  I just believe it really is helpful in seeing how to do ministry better and its focusing for me the idea of really building on my strengths.

Heart of the Campus, Steve Shadrach
Steve is best known for his book, The God Ask, in helping those who raising their salaries.  This one is a quick read.  I read it in an airport waiting on a flight.  Steve and I would differ a little in philosophy here, but I am all about the strategic way he looks at a campus and having a plan.  Shadrach is about a plan.

College Ministry in a Post Christian Culture, Steve Lutz
Lutz is a thinker.  I am more of a do-er and I need folks like Steve who are thinking and helping me a think more.  Plus, this is a book written BY a College Minister about college ministry.  I get frustrated with all the people who have never done college ministry telling us what is happening on campus and how we should respond.

Is God Calling Me?  Jeff Iorg
Again, I have recommended this book before.  It also is a quick read.  Read it for two reasons.  First, it will help you help your students in dealing with, recognizing, and responding to God's call in their life.  Second, you need to have at least one copy of this book on your desk to hand to students who walk in and say, "How do you know God is calling you to go to Africa or New York?".  To tell you how much I like this book, I am recommending it despite the fact that the publisher sent me a copy of the manuscript to write one of those brief endorsements that go in the front, on the back , or in promotion.  I wrote one and they did not use it.  I am not bitter!!!....not too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment