Search This Blog

Monday, May 15, 2017

College Ministry Truths from Andy Stanley's Book

In recent years one of the most influential books in my life has been Andy Stanley's, 7 PRACTICES OF EFFECTIVE MINISTRY.  For me the overwhelming message that really helped me make some decisions about time and focus in my ministry at Arkansas State was to "Play to your strength.". It was not a major theme of the book, but it resonated with me.   It really helped me to prioritize some things both personally ministry wise and in our ministry as a whole.  I recently went back and did an "underlined reading" of the book.  I read things I had underlined.

Here are 6 That Relate Strongly to College Ministry:

1.  Narrow your focus.  Do a few things well.

2.  Define what is important.  What is the MOST important?

3.  Volunteers need to know their investment of time will make a difference.

4.  Discipleship happens most naturally in the context of meaningful relationships.

5.  Devoting a little of yourself to everything means committing a great deal of yourself to nothing.

6.  You need to figure out who you are good at reaching and go for it.

I could give lots of my thoughts on each of these, but will let them stand on their own.  I lean heavily on number 1 and 6 as super truths for college ministry.


Coming soon:  FIXING A BROKEN COLLEGE MINISTRY

No comments:

Post a Comment